noun: gentleman; plural noun: gentlemen
- 1.a chivalrous, courteous, or honorable man.
"he behaved like a perfect gentleman"
- 2.a polite or formal way of referring to a man.
"opposite her an old gentleman sat reading"
- 1 a : a man of noble or gentle birth b : a man belonging to the landed gentry c (1) : a man who combines gentle birth or rank with chivalrous qualities (2) : a man whose conduct conforms to a high standard of propriety or correct behavior d (1) : a man of independent means who does not engage in any occupation or profession for gain (2) : a man who does not engage in a menial occupation or in manual labor for gain
- 2 : valet —often used in the phrase gentleman's gentleman
- 3 : a man of any social class or condition —often used in a courteous reference <show this gentleman to a seat> or usually in the plural in address <ladies and gentlemen